Minor in Microbiology

Microbiology encompasses information from a variety of majors in the biological sciences. Since Fall 2011, the College of Biological Sciences (CBS) offers a 14 credit Microbiology minor.


  • To declare Microbiology as a minor, students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5.
  • Both CBS and non-CBS students are able to declare this minor.
  • If you have completed VBS 2032 - General Mircrobiology with Laboratory or any non-majors microbiology course at another University and would like to declare Microbiology as a minor, please email Dr. Leslie Schiff: schif002@umn.edu.
  • Upper division coursework will need to be completed at the University of Minnesota.
  • Transfer credits will only be accepted for the General Microbiology component of the minor.

Prerequisite courses

  • MICB 3301 - Biology of Microorganisms
  • BIOC 3021 - Biochemistry or BIOC 4331 - Biochemistry I: Structure, Catalysis, and Metabolism in Biological Systems

Declare the Microbiology minor

To declare the Microbiology minor, please fill out the Add/Drop a CBS Minor form.

Read more details for the Microbiology minor